Saturday, January 24, 2009

Untitled

Chapter two
Around the table


Their were many rooms, trying to memorize them would be difficult I could tell. My first class was trigonometry with Mr.Linse, I sighed as I stepped into the enclosed room, there was only one window that sat in the far left corner where the teacher’s desk was. There was a seating chart on the white board.
All the students names were written in red while the desks were a dark blue, obviously a new marker. I slid into my seat, unfortunately I was rather close to the teachers desk. I casually sat back and glanced at all the students that walked into the door. Someone took the seat to my right and looked at me with a grin.
“You must be new,” The girl commented, her light brown hair seemed about shoulder length and slightly straightened. Her smile faded as she kept on waiting for my response.
“Oh, yeah. I’m new here,” I replied as I glanced at her desk, only a small folder and a pencil case were on it. It reminded me that I had a stack of things on the floor next to me. I looked away sheepishly.
“I’m Ashley,” She commented. I glanced away then mumbled.
“I’m Nicole,” Ashley smiled one last time then turned to the boy oh her right and began to talk with him. I was hoping she wasn’t discussing me, I didn’t want a bad first impression. The girl looked back.
“You wanna sit with us at lunch?” She asked as he motioned toward the guys that were facing her. I blushed when I noticed that one was kind of smiling at me. Ashley looked back at me.
“Oh, sure,” I said slightly above a whisper as I continued to glance at the boy, he had brown hair that kind of flipped at the ends as if he was wearing a hat all day. He smiled back, I looked away quickly. I was hopping he didn’t think I was crazy because I just looked at him for a few seconds. The class was over before I knew it, it felt like I had left my body until I walked into the lunch line. I stood next to Ashley as she impatiently tapped her foot.
“Why do so many people want choice,” She mumbled with much rage, I sighed. My old school had lines for lunch three times this length. The same cute boy as before agreed with Ashley’s comment, I soon noticed that he was wearing a dog tag that had the name “Drake” inscribed on it. I now knew his name. He looked down at me with an odd expression.
“Oh, this,” He pointed towards his dog tag, “I got it in Florida, pretty cool huh?” He motioned, I nodded in agreement and turned my gaze to the line once more. After I got my food I followed Ashley to our table. A bunch of guys sat at the table and there was only three extra seats, one for each of us. I sat down cautiously, looking at the people around us and seeing if they were trust worthy.
“Some one is careful,” One of the guys said with a laugh, I looked at Ashley and she sighed.
“Okay so I’ll name all you guys off,” She continued as she pointed towards a tall brown haired boy that looked quite masculine, “That’s Rick,” I nodded, Rick smiled and waved back at me. Ashley continued down the line and pointed at another.
“I’m Jeff,” The medium sized boy said, his hair was slightly reddish.
“Also known as pork chop,” another boy commented, “Oh, I’m the other Jeff, you just call me by my first name,” I had a confused expression on my face as I tried to memorize their names. The next boy raise his hand.
“I’m Derek,” He mumbled, he had blond wavy hair that seemed like a slight tint of orange at the middle, his face looked like a light white color with a dash of red. I nodded then looked to the next.
“Seth,” He said with a smile, he has one of the shorter ones, he had a brownish black hair color. A smallish girl was sitting next to him, I hadn’t seen her there before.
“I’m the last, I’m Addie, you can call me Chip,” Her expression was cute and innocent, unlike the boys that sat around her, her blond curls were arranged on her sweatshirt nicely.
“And, you know the rest,” Drake said with a slight smile as he looked down at me, I blushed slightly then began to eat. The two Jeffs began to talk about random things like scuba diving. Chip and Rick were tossing dice for no apparent reason and the others talked amongst themselves. I only spoke to Drake and Ashley, the only two I knew the most. I looked at the clock that was mounted on the wall, it indicated that we only had three minutes left. I quickly put my tray away and continued on with my day.
“I can’t believe I have homework on the first day,” Josh complained as he walked into the house. I automatically went to my room and began to do my homework. I took one break to have dinner, but that was it. I walked out of my room when I was done. The dog was still in the house, I questioned why he had survived so long in my brothers care. I heard a car drive into the drive way, without looking I could tell it was my mom. I dashed the door with excitement, almost slipping twice on the wooden floor.
When she began to turn the knob my excitement overflowed and I opened the door and hugged her. She smelt odd today, almost as if she had been working outside. The arms were slightly more masculine. I looked up to see my dad with a confused expression.
“I didn’t know you missed me that much,” He said with a smile as he walked into the kitchen and opened the fridge.
“Why were you driving moms car?” I questioned, he replied with a shrug as he grabbed a plate of pizza and put it into the microwave. He set it to one minute then walked to the living room.
“Woops,” My brother said jokingly, I walked over to him. It was hard to hold myself back from hitting him, I resisted and walked past him and into my room. Sitting on the foot of my bed was Scoff, I was wondering how he got there for a few seconds, I quickly dismissed the thought and glared down at him.
“Get off my bed,” I almost growled, he seemed to get the picture and jumped off my bed and walked out. I quickly shut the door behind him and sat on my bed. I dialed the numbers on my phone that I had memorized. It was Ashley’s number. She picked up the phone quickly.
“Hello?” She answered with much ease. I sighed then responded.
“Hey, it’s Nicole.”
“Oh, hiya Nic.”
“What’s up?”
“Not much, how you liking the new school? I can tell you already have your eyes on someone,” She said with a laugh, I waited for a second to respond.
“How did you know?”
“Oh, it was the many times you were staring at him and I was yelling out your name,” She replied enthused and slightly irritated.
“Is it that noticeable?” I questioned with much fear in my voice.
“Calm down, he’s totally clueless,”
“Okay,” I replied with a sigh of relief, the conversation after that consisted of school and random things that happened before I came here. As she said her good bye she wanted to ask one more quick question.
“You open Friday night?” She asked, I pondered the question for a moment.
“I think so, why?”
“Oh, it’s the guys annual bonfire, we do it every year. I can tell that you will become one of our group soon so I thought it would be a good welcoming,”
“I think I can make it, but if anything else pops up I’ll be sure to tell you,” I said with a smile as I looked down at my toes, we then said our goodbyes and hung up. I sat on my bed for a few more seconds then got up and took my shower. The hot water lasted longer than yesterday, I was happy about that.
As I walked out of the bathroom that stupid dog was there again. I sighed as I looked down at it. I decided to ignore it this time and walk on.
“Hi sweetie, I had to work late today,” My mother said as she walked through the door, I smiled.
“Hi mom,” I responded, I coalescence the exhaust in her voice.
“How was your day?” My mother managed to say.
“I loved it, I made a whole bunch of new friends,” I said with a wide grin on my face.
“Oh,” She replied, “That’s wonderful.”
“Did you have fun at your new job?”
“It’s fine,” My mother mumbled as she went to her room, I sat down on the couch and watched some TV before I went to bed. I went to bed faster that night.
I awoke in the middle of the night for some strange reason, the clock read 12:00. I thought it was weird that I got up at exactly twelve. Something suddenly caught my eye outside. I could see a streak of white fly across the horizon, then, before I knew it, it was gone. I slowly went back to sleep on my soft mattress.
“You look tired,” Ashley commented as we sat down at our lunch table, I shrugged slightly.
“Yeah, I woke up at midnight and it took a while to go back to bed,” I replied, I could feel the bags under my eyes.
“That’s harsh,” Drake said as he shoveled in some more of the cafeteria food. I cringed as I glanced down at his messy plate. This was something I would have to get past.
“Remember the bonfire this Friday?” Drake asked when we walked into History.
“How could I forget?” I commented with a smile. He looked at me and slightly blushed.
“Yeah,” He mumbled, “Ashley seems to keep mentioning it.”
“You think?” I said with much sarcasm in my voice, he laughed softly as we sat in our seats. The rest of the school day was pretty boring, the lectures seemed kinda short. I was glad about that. I had to stay late at school that day because the library was quite useful. When I was finished studying it was already dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment